
I have a new appreciation for geometric patterns and traditional dyes used in this unique style of weaving. The people of Teotitlan preserve the Zapotec tradition of weaving using natural ingredients seen here. One such rug or tapestry can take up to 4 to 6 months of individual work to create. The workers use the tools pictured to create such patterns. They first have to grid the patterns and then they intertwine the nopal string to create the rugs. Right away I was fascinated by the color of the example pictured here. I was interested in purchasing this 4´X 6´beauty until I found that it would cost me $300.00 American dollars, so I took a picture instead (they say a picture lasts longer). These exquisite rugs will not fade in time nor wash. The Zapotecs use the cochinil bugs found on nopals (cactus) to create the natural dyes.

The process is truly amaz

ing...
No comments:
Post a Comment