Monday, June 26, 2006

A Oaxacan Beauty: Santa Maria El Tule (Sabino Tree)



When I first saw on the agenda that we would be spedning one and a half hour looking at a tree, I thought, WHAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! But I soon learned the significance and the beauty of this tree. Unfortunately, a picture does not do the tree justice, but here are a few facts. The tree is 2,000 years old and is 190 meters in diameter. The tree has withstood changes in nature, communities, and people and is a respected member of the community. When looking up into the branches of life, one can become lost in the intricacies of the intertwining branches and leaves. The trunk creates images of a lion´s head (pictured), dolphin, anteater, even Monica Lewinsky´s behind. We had two lovely two guides that pointed this figures to us, Nancy and Laura. The park has these two young ladies (by the way they are cousins) give tours around the tree for tips. The young girls in turn give their earnings to their mother when they go home. Again, a photo cannot do justice the tree itself, but its memory will forever remain in my memory.

No comments: