
It is a wonder that during the early 1970´s when plumbing work was being done at the National Palace, that the plumbers would come across some pre-hispanic artifacts buried under meters of street. Alarmed by what they found, the plumbers contacted the National Anthropological Museum to look at the artifacts discovered. What was found was unbelievable! We had the fortune to see this archeological masterpiece and also had the fortune of having the head archaeologist of the project, Dr. Eduardo Matus, as our guide. He opened our eyes in describing that this found temple was the main area as the center of Tenochtitlan - the capital of Mexico during pre-hispanic times. To see that this temple was only discovered in the 1970´s is beyond belief. I cannot do justice to the explanation of what I found here, but I did buy a book to show everyone...

Tamara and I stopped to pose for a little picture!!!!

The temple was found to have 7 levels. During the time of the Aztecs, once the pyramids showed some deterioration, they would build another level on top of the current pyramid. These artifacts (replicas of course) were found in the 4th level of the temple.

I liked this particular picture because I have always been fascinated by the unification of pre-hispanic religious beliefs and modern Catholic beliefs. In this picture, you will find the remains of the death center of the pyramid. Interesting how this view point also includes the cathedral of Mexico City as well. In almost all regions of Mexico, you will see this duality presented together. Makes me wonder...
No comments:
Post a Comment