Sunday, July 02, 2006

Maestro Carlos Prieto

Before I go on to explain who Carlos Prieto is, let me first say that I may be living in Austin next year as Dr. Roberto De Simone´s, Director of the Ernest Butler Opera Center for UT, new assistant. I have come to know this man as ¨Bob¨, and I am in awe of how famous this man really is. He is one of our program coordinators, and let me say that he very well known not only in the U.S. but worldwide as a brilliant conductor, pianist, and musical director. With that being said, ¨Bob¨informed the Fulbrighters that we would be honored with the presence of one of the greatest cellists in the world, Maestro Carlos Prieto.

"Carlos Prieto, Mexican-born and MIT-educated, is one of the most respected cellists in the world, regularly premiering works composed especially for him by Latin American, North American and European composers. He has received enthusiastic public acclaim and won excellent reviews for his performances throughout the United States, Europe, Russia, China, India, and Latin America. The New York Times of his Carnegie Hall debut raved "Prieto has no technical limitations and his musical instincts are impeccable." He has been invited to many of the world's most prestigious halls and has played with orchestras such as the Royal Philharmonic in London, the American Symphony Orchestra in New York, the Berlin Symphony Orchestra, the Moscow Chamber Orchestra, the Spanish National Orchestra, the Spanish Radio and Television Orchestra, the National Symphony Orchestra of Argentina and many others. "

- taken from http://www.carlosprieto.com/

After hearing of his background, I must say that I was nervous to meet such an acclaimed artist, but upon the first hand shake and first look into his crystal clear eyes, you are set at ease and comfort with a man proud of his heritage and musical abilities. He played a few selections for us without accompainment, and I must say I was driven to tears as his hand caressed the strings of his beautiful instrument titled ¨Cello Prieto¨. The sounds created by his gifted hands and the bow of the antique cello were uplifting and moving and I cannot wait to hear the cd he left for us as a gift. This man was truly inspiring, and I am truly honored.

No comments: